jeudi 18 mars 2010

Funky Nassau - The Compass Point Story (1980-1986) (Strut - 2008)



Funky Nassau - The Compass Point Story (1980-1986)

From my point of view, the 80's were an absolute musical nightmare. Can you imagine what it was being a teenager with Phil Collins and Dire Straits representing rock'n'roll. The disco-reggae-punk produced at Chris Blackwell's Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas with the cream of the crop of jamaican session musicians (Sly Dunbar, Robbie Shakespeare, Mikey Chung, Uziah "Sticky" Thompson) coupled with two european mercenaries (Barry Reynolds and Wally Badarou) was completely unknown in the small village of the Alps where I grew up. When I realise what I missed, I wish I could time travel to trade my shitty tapes (yes, in the 80's, music was listened on tapes played on strange machines called tape players) against Grace Jones, Tom Tom Club, Talking Heads or Ian Dury scorchers here included. Well better late than never...

Aucun commentaire: